The advantages and disadvantages surrounding the utilisation of nuclear weapons has always been a hot topic in several intellectual and diplomatic discussions. There are unlimited pros and cons for a nation that has long-range nuclear weapons in the store. These are considered to be the most potent and destructive tactical weapons available with any nation in the present day scenario. They work on the nuclear fusion and fission process or may be on the combination of the energy released by both. The ability and strength of this phenomenon was well realised at the time of Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombing back in 1945.
Let’s take a look at what advantages and disadvantages are involved with the utilisation of nuclear weapons.
Benefits of using nuclear weapons:
- Utilisation in national defence- Nuclear weapon is certainly the main tool to survive through major wars and other aggressive actions taken by some nations. The countries that have nuclear weapons of their own are generally not targeted by other countries. This strengthens the diplomatic discussions as none of the countries would like to trigger a war where nuclear weapons will be used.
- Overall growth in the world-Nuclear weapons brings along high position and power for countries. Every country likes to avoid getting into a situation where they could get indulged in a war-like situation with a country that is more powerful than them.
Drawbacks of possessing nuclear weapons:
- Threats from radioactive waste-Nations that have progressing nuclear weapon industry face huge threats as well. This industry produces a lot of radioactive waste that can be present in items that are of daily use such as hand tools, clothing, water purifier resin, and other products used to make the nuclear reactors. Extreme exposure to such radiations can result in disability and cancer, which can persist for years to come.
- The increase in cost and maintenance- Owning and using nuclear weapons can be a very expensive affair for any country. This will deny the countries the scope for investing in other areas which need more attention, thus deterring national growth.
- Harmful results if used by accident- Many times, the nuclear weapons have almost been launched by mistake. Accidental triggering of such weapons will finish the world in a single accident. Additionally, malfunctioning in the computer programs can also start a nuclear weapon. That too will bring along enormous destruction worldwide.
Considering these advantages and disadvantages, it is always wise to ignore using any such weapon that is a potential hazard to the whole humanity.